Awful noise

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Awful noise
From: "Neil Cotty" <neilc@tradesrv.com.au>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 18:03:35 +1000
Hi there,

Well if you hadn't noticed by now my MGA is my daily driver at the moment
until I can get my 626 fixed! Bloody Jap rubbish! <G>

OK I have a problem. I'm driving down the freeway at around 60-65MPH. I get
this god awful shearing sound which is not engine related. I slow down and
the noise stops when I stop the car, but grates all the way to a
standstill - motor running. I let the clutch out and drive off and it's
gone. It's happened twice now, and incidentally the same place on the
freeway!? Maybe pure coincidence. It's VERY loud and scary. It's coming from
the front right of the car, almost sounds very close to the firewall or even
inside the car. I am going in a straight line at the time, steady speed and
this sound just appears!

OK my car - the brakes are very shot. The discs are ahem very bad. I have
all the bits to replace just haven't been able to yet as my 626 is toast for
the moment and I still need to get to work! Would anyone have an idea what
this could be? Wheel bearing? Wire Wheel? Brakes? Rotors contacting pads
when the brake isn't on at some certain vibration level?? I'm really
confused about it, and as it sounds pretty dangerous I feel I should take it
off the road ASAP (the 626 is going in on Sat.). Any ideas would be
appreciated, I can't really describe the sound except to say it sound like a
metal on metal grinding sound. It's still there when I change lanes, touch
the brakes momentarily etc so I don't think it's brakes. It's only happened
twice and I've never experienced the problem driving around town, only on
this part of the freeway - bizarre!

Cheers,
Neil.
--
Neil Cotty - Sydney, Australia
1970 MG B GT        / 1961 MG A 1600 Mk1 / 1956 AH 100 BN2