No E-Power

To: MG Listserver <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: No E-Power
From: Chris Attias <cattias@cats.ucsc.edu>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 15:42:28 -0700
Since before the Fourth of July weekend the weather here in coastal
northern California (Santa Cruz to be exact) has been perfect for driving
LBCs top/hood-down.  Sunny, but not too hot, all day; no fog.  So I've been
having a blast driving my '64 MGB every day.  Everything's running
well...and then I went out to dinner last night, came out of the
restaurant-- ZAP.  The sound of the starter engaging for a split second,
and then NOTHING.

The first question was "To tow or not to tow."  Despite the gathering
gloom, I had faith that this was a simple fix. How tough could it be with
early B electrics. My daughter waited very patiently, Walk man headphones
on, for me to walk 100 yds. to the drug store to buy a multi-tip
screwdriver and small Chinese crescent wrench.  (I had a socket set in the
trunk, but no way to open the battery cover.)  Got back, tested the
headlights--no juice.  Turned the key again--no ignition light.  No
evidence of fried wire or smell of arc welding.  I played with wires I
could reach just for drill--everything seemed to be making good contact.
Tried the ignition again, and presto--pump kicked on and the thing started!

I don't know definitively what happened, or if it will happen again.  Any
theories would be welcome.

My pet theory at the moment is that the 5-year-old Group 26 12v battery has
an internal open fault-- that an open circuit was created under load as the
starter bumped, and the circuit closed again when it cooled off.  I'm
carrying around a VOM in the trunk as insurance THAT IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN
AGAIN.

Chris Attias
'64 MGB
'84 Alfa Romeo GTV-6