Idling after a cold start

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Idling after a cold start
From: "Charles D. Sorkin" <cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1999 14:58:40 -0400
When starting the engine cold, on the 5th or 6th turn of the key, the engine
on the '74 Midget roars to life and proceeds to idle at an unusually high
RPM (sometimes above 4500, getting near to the redline).  The choke cable is
working properly, I haven't flooded the gasoline, and it settles down after
a couple of moments.

How do I prevent this from happening?  The car runs fine after it warms up a
bit, but I don't like the concept of the engine revving so fast before the
oil pressure has a chance to build up.  The idling speed is just fine (well,
it could be a lttle higher), and fiddling with the choke cable seems to have
little effect.  Though putting it in gear and driving off would of course
keep the RPMs down, I still would want to do so immediately.  I am reluctant
to start fiddling with the carbs due to a) my lack of experience,  b) my
lack of tools, and c) I don't want to change the way it runs at normal
temperature.

Regards,

Charles
'74 Midget