No E-Power, plus another battery item

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: No E-Power, plus another battery item
From: "Charles D. Sorkin" <cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1999 14:41:29 -0400
Good afternoon list...

Regarding the sudden absence of juice, this has happened three times since I
bought the '74 Midget two weeks ago.  Simply jiggling the battery cables
restored the connection.  The electrolytes seemed to be at the proper level.
I just chalked it up to needing a new set of battery cables, since the
ground side has apparently frayed a bit over the years.

But that brings up another issue.

I noticed behind the ground terminal on the battery, that the sheet metal on
the engine bay wall had dark marks upon it, as well as a hole that I had
originally mistaken for a rust spot.  Apparently, at one point in ages past
a spark of some sort must have burned through.  Is this indicative of a
chronic condition, or could is simply be that a bad battery was in place
long ago?

Regards,

Charles
'74 Midget