1st autocross

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: 1st autocross
From: Parker J Whiteway <parkerw@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 20:25:32 EDT
Hello everyone,
        I have to share the story of my first autocross, as it was on
Sunday.  As the battery exploded in my car, the ever-so-generous Barney
Gaylord offered to let me drive his.  The Peoria region SCCA was hosting
an autocross at Utica.  We got there at around 9 AM, the second ones
there.  We got the car ready, and Barney let me drive it around some back
roads to get the feel of the race tires.  They've got a helluva lot of
grip!  We then walked the track a couple times to find the right line.
At about 12 they let the first car go,  ironically, me!   My first time
was a 73 something.  ( I had some trouble with that hairpin.  On the
second run, I managed a 70 something.  Then the second heat went through,
 Barney turned in two 63 somethings.  My third and fourth runs I got a 70
something and an off course  (they were just looking at it from the wrong
angle ; )  Then I was a track worker, which gave me the chance to see the
racing up close.  During the scoring, there was time for some fun laps.
Barney drove one with me in the car, which was amazing, getting myself
thrown all over the place.  Then I did one with him in the car, and got a
72.  Then I did two more, the first I completely screwed up and the
second I finally broke 70, turning in a 69.885.  I failed to get any
awards, but Barney won the stock class index trophy.  We took a great
state highway home, I think it was 171, there were some great twisty
parts, I'm surprised the trailer could keep up.  All in all, it was a
great time, I learned a lot, like I need to get my car back together so I
can drive it to these events.  Thanks to Barney, and it is time for
dinner.
Tune in next time...
Parker Whiteway
57 MGA