Re: Steering wheel removal

To: vaughme@mail.auburn.edu, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Steering wheel removal
From: REwald9535@aol.com
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 20:13:37 EDT
In a message dated 7/12/99 6:16:05 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
vaughme@mail.auburn.edu writes:

> I am about to give up!

Before you give up try my way first.
To do this you will need two hammers one of them being of the brass faced
type, the other a BFH.
Loosen or remove the nut on the end of the steering shaft.  Turn the wheel 90
degrees to the left from straight ahead.  Take your right arm put it around
the steering wheel with your elbow at the 3 o'clock position at your wrist
near the 12 o'clock position (your arm should be in front of the wheel)  Take
the brass hammer and hold the handle in your right hand with the head laying
on the end of the steering shaft.  This will require a little bit of
contortion.  Then while pulling toward you with your right arm smack the end
of the brass hammer with the BFH, usually one or two smacks will do the job.
An old very wise mechanic taught me this when I was a teenager, and I have
never had this method fail in all the years I have been working on cars.
Hope this helps,
Rick Ewald