Re: MGB's and mileage

To: Tomsjetta@aol.com
Subject: Re: MGB's and mileage
From: James Nazarian Jr <James.Nazarian@Colorado.EDU>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 10:20:57 -0600 (MDT)
Tom,
In my experience with owning more than 20 MGs I have found that mileage
really dowesn't play much of a part in anything.  I will assume that you
are looking for a car that is restorable without accumulating a garage
full of replacement parts, in this case look at the overall condition of
the car, and try to figure out how it was treated.  A well treated car can
have +80k on the engine and only need a rebuild, while others may need
substantial engine work after only 40k.  These motors use a block that was
originally made for a tractor so it is plenty tough.  Big things to look
for, as with any car, are crash damage and rust.  If the car has been
treated well (not necessarily looking good) then the engine should always
have life left in it after a new set of bearings/rings so don't worry too
much about mileage, odds are anything that you find that will need a resto
will need the engine done.  BTW you aren't really an MG person until you
have at least a spare car worth of parts stashed somewhere in the house,
so make some room :)

James Nazarian
'71 B roadster
'74 BGT undergoing V8 conversion for autocrossing