Re: MGA update and need an opinion.

To: jeepin@eatmydirt.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGA update and need an opinion.
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 14:41:49 EDT
In a message dated 7/15/99 11:15:12 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
jeepin@eatmydirt.com writes:

<< I have contacted a local
 shop about a possible rebuild of the motor and he is telling me I am in
 the $3500-4000 price range with a 1 year guarantee on the motor.   Is
 this a decent price?  Would I be better off reading a bunch of books,
 finding a good machine shop and doing it myself?  What are the gotcha's
 in that department?

 Should I even try to crank it over with an oil/spark plug change?  The
 engine is complete and all the gears on the transmission
 engage/disengage easily.  It is tempting but I am afraid I will do more
 damage which means more $$$$. >>

Congratulations on your MGA.  I'm jealous, I'd love to have an A.

Unless the mechanic who quoted that price is the best British car mechanic in
the world, and he specializes in cars for the stars in Beverly Hills, I'd say
that he wants way too much for an engine rebuild.  It sounds like you aren't
sure that the engine is really in need of a rebuild, so prep it and try to
start it.

First, drain all the gas, coolant, and oil out of the car.  Put a gallon of
gas in the tank, backflush the radiator and refill it, and change the oil
filter and refill the sump.  Change the plugs, distr. cap, points, condenser
and rotor.  Disconnect the fuel line at the carb, and (just in case) take off
the distr. cap.  While you have the plugs out, put a teaspoon of oil directly
in each cylinder to lubricate the cyl. from the top.

Now, turn the engine over a few times.  This will force new gas thru the
lines and fuel pump without putting any old stuff into the carbs, and it will
lubricate the cylinders at the top.  Chances are the batt. is gone, so you
can just jump from another battery.

Re-connect the fuel line, and put the dist. back together.  Squirt a few
shots of starting fluid (ether) in the air intake and try to start it.  These
cars are amazing, and it just may start for you after a coupla tries.

Remember, all the rubber parts and seals are probably shot, so you will have
to rebuild the hydraulic (brake and clutch) systems before you can drive it.
If it starts, you may get to drive it for quite a while before you have to
rebuild the engine.  You will also have to replace all the hoses, belts,
probably have the gas tank cleaned and sealed, replace suspension bushing,
etc., etc., etc., ad infinitum.

List...did I miss anything?

Good luck with it, and keep us posted about your progress.

Allen Hefner
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport