Re: MGB's & Miles

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGB's & Miles
From: Florrie & Allen Bachelder <bachldrs@swva.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 20:59:43 -0400
Tom -

Open the hood (bonnet).  Driver's side - way back in the farthest corner,
you'll find what looks like a tin can with a white plastic lid on it.  This
is the reservoir for the clutch master cylinder.  If it's anything less
than full, top it up with Castrol GT/LMA DOT 4 brake fluid.  Pump the
clutch a few times and I'm willing to bet it will shift fine. This is not a
fix - although if it's a real slow leak, this may 'fix' it for months.  Of
course this $2 secret is just between you and the list, right?  ' Guess you
might tell the owner "Hmmm, looks like it needs major transmission work.
How about you knocking $1000 off the asking price..."  This will not 'work
itself out' - nor is it particularly expensive to fix (rebuild clutch
master and/or slave cylinder[s]).  It is typical for an MG hydraulic system
that has been in storage for several months.

 Confession time: my '73 B is like this every spring when I take it out of
storage.  I top it up once and it's good until next spring...  Just did it
about a month ago - it had been sitting since... you guessed it... October
'98.

Let us know what you find out!

Allen

>From: Tomsjetta@aol.com
>
>Well, I think I've received the list's "official" standing on these cars...
>
>There is one MGB in my area that has caught my eye. It's a 1980, has 80k
>miles and is a two owner car. New brakes, new exhaust, always garaged, nearly
>all original, paint on hood was resprayed not too long ago. I'm told the
>first owner picked up the car in Abingdon himself, and he has the plates,
>papers, and the car's entire history to prove it. I like what I'm hearing.
>
>There is one small detail that I could use your help on. I am told this car
>was put in the garage in October, '98, and has sat there since. Car is still
>registered and insured. The owner did take it out for a quick spin recently,
>and told me that it statred right up, but he found the car difficult to
>shift...
>
>Tom

         Allen H. Bachelder  =iii=<
         Sinking Creek Home for Wayward MGs