Re: Stainless system:

To: tsouthworth@att.net, jon.arikstad@merkantildata.no
Subject: Re: Stainless system:
From: John Walker <john@rmartin.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 12:47:41 -0700
The use of these three brackets may or may not solve the clunking problem.
My '74 B has all three brackets properly installed, however the bend in the
new exhaust pipe was not just right to allow the pipe to pass through the
center
of the notch in the body that is provided for the routing of the pipe.
What I
had to do was use a little elbow grease and bend the pipe over where it
would not rattle against the body.  No problems since.

As for the leak, does the stainless system have a flange between the header
pipes and the straight pipe to the muffler?  If so, that is the place where
I have
seen many leaks on the stock exhaust systems.  Leaks at the joint are
sometimes
hard to detect.

-JW

At 04:41 PM 7/16/99 +0000, tsouthworth@att.net wrote:
>Can't really comment on the suspected exhast leak except
>to say that I've had a stainless system on my 70 B for
>three years and the sound doesn't seem any different than
>what I've heard on MG's with standard piping.
>Regarding the noise
>Did you install the three clamps that secure the system?
>There's a front clamp that holds things tight from the
>manifold to the first silencer, a second clamp on the
>rear muffler and a third one on the tail pipe. If any of
>those are missing or loose you're going to hear that
>clunking sound.

*********************************
John A. Walker
john@rmartin.net