smoke under carb

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: smoke under carb
From: "macfan@vei.net" <macfan@vei.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 99 16:54:22 -0400
The 78 MGB I'm to buy in the next couple of days started smoking from
under the carb. The smoke was white and smelled oily and hung in the air
like oil or other petroleum-based smoke. Inspection of the area showed
no obvious trouble, but I'm new to this sort of thing. When I checked
the oil, it was over-filled. The carb dashpot had no oil in it both
before and after I ran the engine. This car has sat for at least 5
years, so starting it may not have been the greatest idea, but I checked
all the fluid levels beforehand and all seemed well except the dry
dashpot and overfilled crankcase. The oil appeared to be the proper
consistency with no water present and the antifreeze was clean too. I'm
guessing some sort of gasket has gone over but am trying to get ideas
before I have to tear the engine down totally. Aside from some other
small problems, the body is rust-free. Thanks for your help,
William