Fwd: MGB electrical

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Fwd: MGB electrical
From: Florrie & Allen Bachelder <bachldrs@swva.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 1999 11:17:05 -0400
Phil -

' Sounds like a faulty voltage regulater on that new alternater. Check
alternater output with a voltmeter - ' think it should be ca 13.5-14 volts.

 ' Just guessing here, but if headlights are dim, I'd start by checking
integrity of the brown wire connections at the starter solonoid and then
check all connections, bullet connectors, etc, working your way downstream
from the solonoid all the way to the lights.  How about ww wiper, turn
signals and heater fan?  Check all your grounds too.

' Don't have a wiring diagram near the computer and don't remember what's
on the 3rd fuse.  ' Sure this is a spike?  Or is it an intermittant short
in some component on the 3rd fuse.  What's on the 3rd fuse that runs all
the time?

Any of these symptoms present before you replaced the alternater and battery?

I'll leave your brake question to somebody else - right now I'd be
delighted to get mine to work as WELL as your's (grrrr!).  You probably
should pull the drum, clean things up back there and see what's going on.
' Could be first sign of worn shoes.  Do check for end play on the axle by
trying to pull/push the wheel out/in of the bearing - could be the shoes
are riding on a part of the drum they don't normally sweep and your picking
up some rust, hence the noise.

BTW, I'm on Apple/Mac and I open jpg files with Netscape: "Open page" -
paste in file name, and voila.  ' Think other web browsers will do the same.

Allen

>From: Cullit@aol.com
>
>Hey guys,
>   I submitted a question re electrical problems on 7/14. I haven't seen it
>on the list yet what is the usual time lag? Also, I'm trying to email
>pictures to an MG friend who has an Apple with jpg files he says he can't
>open them, any thoughts? Thanks Phil
>
>Hey guys,
>   I have a 74 MGB. I have an intermittant spike in current that blows the
>third fuse. I have a new alternator and battery yet my headlamps and tail
>lights are dim. Sometimes the tach jumps prior to fuse blowing and sometimes
>it doesn't. It starts very well and drives very well. Sometimes you can put
>in a new fuse and it will last 2hrs and sometimes two days.

         Allen H. Bachelder  =iii=<
         Sinking Creek Home for Wayward MGs
         New Castle, VA 24127
         USA