Re: Miata (& MG) Stuff

To: Paul Hammarstedt <wfme@owc.net>
Subject: Re: Miata (& MG) Stuff
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 18:41:00 -0700
I keep hearing this "tractor engine" stuff. I know it's funny and it's a
myth we perpetuate ourselves, but really, the B-series engine was an LBC
powerplant all along. Does anyone really think you could pull a tractor
with the original 1500 version? I suspect the canard is derived from the
characteristics of an earlier generation of British engines, with the
extremely high stroke-to-bore ratios (hence high torque compared to peak
power, as in a tractor) driven by the antiquated tax laws. The B engine
is slightly undersquare, but not anything like a traditional Riley, for
instance.

Now an A-H BN1, that's another story...

No quibble with your post, Paul, just a general observation.

Paul Hammarstedt had this to say:

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149