Re: Gearbox

To: Stephen J Piepenbrink <stevejp2@juno.com>
Subject: Re: Gearbox
From: Bill Saidel <saidel@crab.rutgers.edu>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 17:44:21 -0400
At 12:54 PM 7/20/1999 -0500, you wrote:
>A question,
>
>I have a 79 MGB with an oil leak that seems to be coming from the
>gearbox.  It is not from the engine because that level doesn't go down.
>
>My question is on how to tell when the gearbox oil level is correct.
>When I changed the oil in the gearbox a month or so ago I just added the
>3 quarts of oil recommended in the owners manual.  The oil didn't run out
>the filling hole as it would on the differential.
>
>Is filling the gearbox until the oil runs out of the filler the right way
>to gauge the level?

That is what I understood and what I did this Spring to my '76B.

Bill

Dr. Bill Saidel
Assoc. Prof.                      Vocal phone   (609) 225-6336
Department of Biology             FAX  (609) 225-6312
Science Building                  email:  saidel@crab.rutgers.edu
315 Penn St.
Camden, NJ 08102 -1411
http://crab.rutgers.edu/~saidel/saidel.html

"Between the approximation of the idea and the precision
of reality, there is a small gap of the unimaginable."
Milan Kundera - "The Unbearable Lightness of Being"