Re: V8 Musings

To: WSpohn4@aol.com
Subject: Re: V8 Musings
From: Susan and John Roper <vscjohn@huntnet.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 11:58:21 -0500
Bill, points well made.  As one who has build several Rover motors and
transmissions and is planning a Rover/MGB conversion with much preplanning, I
can
offer some responses.  The B chassis has limits re the hp/torque that it can
handle.  The late 4.6 Rovers if pumped up are probably more than is appropriate
for the chassis.  The 3.5/3.9/4.2s are ideal in terms of hp/torque.  A well
turned out 3.9 or 4.2 will make 225-250 hp with plenty of torque.  The Rover 5
speed is servicable and long-lived if you don't feel a need to abuse it with
drag
race shifts.  The major problem area is exhaust routing.  There just is not room
for a proper system.  Other options are the Ford V8, with additional power,
weight penalty, more fabrication to install, but a narrow V with more room, one
of the V6s, all of which have negatives, or a 90s 4 cyl which makes power, less
torque, and will be pricey, with more unaddressed problems to solve.  The high
reving 4 is probably more in keeping with the character of the B and does have
appeal.  I would ultimately like to build something that will capture that same
character--a 3.5 built to turn serious revs and stay together, less torque but
plenty of top end power, and it will have that one special characteristic that
no
4 or 6 can give.. It will sound like a hot V8.   Hey, I missed out on southern
cal in the 40s and 50s, but still love the sound.  John