the E-type from hell...

To: mgs@autox.team.net, pokrefke@netdoor.com
Subject: the E-type from hell...
From: Johnmowog@aol.com
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 16:14:39 EDT
Run, do not walk to the nearest exit!
Not to be tacky, but here's my analogy:
You have fallen in love with the automotive equal of an tired old foulmouthed
streetwalker with several profession-associated diseases: Sure, you could
adopt her, bring her in off the street, maybe make her well, even
rehabilitate her,... but would it ever be worth the trouble ... when you
already were married to the most beautiful, sexy and perfect wife you could
ever imagine? Such is the folly of the decrepid Jaguar.
Some cars, like our B's, are almost always worth saving, because bad ones are
so cheap and used parts are available. This makes us foolish optimists
regarding other LBCs. Many Jags will never be worth the trouble of restoring,
'cause they are so difficult to save and so expensive as well...and good luck
finding used parts.
        I have to take issue with the poster who stated that they aren't much
more expensive to restore than our B's. I guess the definition of restore has
to be made... with oem-type materials and quality I'd say they are much  more
expensive, especially with bodywork involved.

You didn't state year of car, with the automatic I assume it's a 68 or later,
and likely a 2+2, that being the most common application.

A local collector-car lot here (norcal) has a quite beautiful 4spd 70 E-type
coupe (shiny red, good interior, straight, runs good, etc)  that he has been
trying for months to move, he started out at 18k, it's down around 12k now...
If you look around, even in over-priced hemmings you'll see decent automatic
coupes at 9-15k. Only show cars and dreamer dealers ask more. (I know back in
the rust belt things cost more... but that's why planes fly to california...)
2+2s are even more depressed in value. The V12s bring a bit more, but are a
complete nightmare. If we assume you are looking at a 6cyl automatic 2+2,
it's worth all of 10k. Restored. Maybe. (I know they are often asking more
than these prices, but how many of those cars sell for asking price??)
To be more specific, the E-Type is one of the hardest cars to get right when
doing body work. That bonnet is $5k new if you can find one. You could easily
spend close to that much buying replacement panels and welding it up. Hinge
supports are specially engineered and aligned, get them wrong and the bonnet
will never fit right and will scratch the bumbers on the pavement everytime
you open it, or simply break after 6 months.  Quality of panel work and
alignment is critical when repairing it because it is such a big part of the
car.
The OEM interior kit, including seat kits, panels, carpet, will kill off $3k+
of your resto fund all by itself.

It takes about a grand in parts and labor (not including R&R, which can be
quite the adventure in it's own right) just to do the head half-right
assuming it needs valves replaced etc, (less if it is just worn, I spent $700
on mine)..assuming you find a competent machinist, and please do not fall
into the delusion that you can build and setup a jag head competantly
yourself without prior experience or at least good help.
If it is warped, it has to be heat-straightened, they cannot be milled flat!
The rest of the motor is more reasonable, as long as it hasn't been abused.
Thankfully, the 6 cyl usually stays together better than that... often a good
head rebuild and bearings and rings will do the trick, but is still
relatively expensive compared to our humble mgb's.
Then you still hafta paint it, Worse, they are so attractive when right that
you WILL spend what ever is needed on body and paint because they look so
good when right. (the big trap)
Then you must sort out the rear suspension and brakes, and fix all of the
electrical gremlins you'll find... (the B is simple and frankly downright
reliable electrically at least compared to that era jaguar...)
Oh, did I mention that to replace the rear calipers or rotors the entire rear
suspension has to come out? Or that the U-joints in the driveshaft must
either be replaced "in place" or you must move the motor off the mounts or
alternately drop the rear suspension out again?
Save your money for a nice one, or tackle something easier...
 like permanent world peace...<g>
(If the guy will take a few hundred bucks for it, you could part out the
motor for a profit....)