educational question re sparks, compression, and power

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: educational question re sparks, compression, and power
From: Bill Saidel <saidel@crab.rutgers.edu>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 13:26:05 -0400
Hi all,
        Friday nite my 76B rode weak but continuously (no sputter). Thought it
was
due to the 95 degree air and air resistance at 100% humidity, but no,
Saturday, I found 3 of 4 sparkplugs loose and the connector tips of two
loose. Tightened everyone and it seemed to run better.

Got me to thinking with no serious response (i.e., I had no answer so I
appeal to you knowledgeable ones)...

if the spark plugs are loose, is compression reduced?   I would think so if
pressure is lost around the plug.
if the connector tips to the distributor are loose, does that reduce the
voltage to the plugs and maybe even cause occassional loss of spark?

TIA,
Bill

Dr. Bill Saidel
Assoc. Prof.                      Vocal phone   (609) 225-6336
Department of Biology             FAX  (609) 225-6312
Science Building                  email:  saidel@crab.rutgers.edu
315 Penn St.
Camden, NJ 08102 -1411
http://crab.rutgers.edu/~saidel/saidel.html

"Between the approximation of the idea and the precision
of reality, there is a small gap of the unimaginable."
Milan Kundera - "The Unbearable Lightness of Being"