Re: educational question re sparks, compression, and power

To: "Bill Saidel" <saidel@crab.rutgers.edu>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: educational question re sparks, compression, and power
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 20:52:56 +0100
>if the spark plugs are loose, is compression reduced?   I would think so if
>pressure is lost around the plug.

Unlikely to be significant, I would have thought.

>if the connector tips to the distributor are loose, does that reduce the
>voltage to the plugs and maybe even cause occassional loss of spark?

Even more unlikely since the spark can jump up to 1/2".  In fact extra air
gaps may even help in some circumstances.  I remember pulling the king lead
out by 1/8" or 1/4" on my Mini on a couple of occasions when it wouldn't
start (cranked but wouldn't fire), it then fired up straight away.  The idea
came from reading an article about something called a Scrutton which
consisted of multiple spark gaps and had been developed in WWII (I know,
sounds like Carbonflo again) to overcome difficult starting in motor boats.