Should I buy this MGB? semi-long

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Should I buy this MGB? semi-long
From: Tomsjetta@aol.com
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 22:53:59 EDT
First: This is not the first MGB I've looked at-I walked away from that one.

The car is a 1980 B, blue, brown interior. 75k miles. Repainted about two
years ago. 200 miles on engine rebuild. Top is brand new. That's the
overview, here's the full story:

Body: Car has been owned by current owner for three years, and has been
outside (I saw no garage). Amazingly, the body was in incredible shape. No
dents. No dings. I had my magnet with me-it stuck everywhere I put it, sills,
fenders, you name it. If this car has any bondo on it, it got by me. Doors
were in perfect alignment, as was boot and bonnet. The paint job, though
recent, is poor, I'd give it a D+/C-. There is overspray on the passenger
door, and when you run your hand across the surface, it has a rough quality
to it. Owner says the car just needs to be waxed-can this be true? I am
skeptical. Car sits perfectly level, no sagging anywhere. Rostyles have been
totally spray painted silver and are missing hubcaps; I don't care for it at
all, if I had the $$ I'd buy some minilites. Rubber looked old, but there was
tread. I found some surface rust towards the rear of the trunk. That was it.
I got under the car and spotted none.

Interior: Shot. Seats and door skins are incredibly faded. A 3" tear is where
my left shoulder would be on the driver's seat. Cushions are not so hot-I
rode in the passenger seat, and I was not terribly comfy. Dash cracked in
about three places. No carpet behind seats. In fact, not much carpet
anywhere. Just enough to keep the floors covered. Panel below dash on
driver's side was sagging. Radio works, my God the clock even worked.

Driving: I did not drive the car; my poor wife was left at the curb and the
owner drove it. On starting, car blew no smoke at all. Ran smooth. Under
acceleration, no hesitating. Car felt very peppy, moreso than I had expected.
Looks like it shifted very smoothly. Tranny did not make a single sound, nor
did brakes. Car appeared to handle well (this guy was really flinging it
around). So, from a mechanical standpoint, I cannot find fault with the car.

He is asking $4,000. A fellow list member tells me the CT MG market is
inflated to the tune of about $1,000 more than what you might pay elsewhere
in the country. I simply don't have the time to do that kind of traveling.
List members, you are my sounding board, tell me what you think. Do I give
the man my money, walk, or run away?

I greatly anticipate your answers/advice.

Tom