New noise - is it the water pump?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: New noise - is it the water pump?
From: Steve Shoyer <Steve@shoyer.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 23:14:31 -0400
I was driving my 1980 MGB tonight and noticed a new noise, kind of an
occasional rumble.  It seemed to vibrate through the gearshift lever, so I
was able to feel it as well as hear it.  It got louder, so I pulled over
and looked under the hood.  I noticed that the pulley on the water pump was
loose, and that it would wobble in and out once in a while.  The noise
seemed to correspond to the wobble.  When I got the car home (driving
slowly), I found that I was able to move the pulley around, almost like a
joystick.  I'm guessing that it's not supposed to do that.

Does it sound like I lost a bearing and need to replace the water pump?  If
so, is it a big job, and does the radiator really need to come out (step 1
in the Bentley manual).  Could it be something else?

Thanks.

--Steve Shoyer