Re: New noise - is it the water pump?

To: Steve@shoyer.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: New noise - is it the water pump?
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 11:00:01 EDT
In a message dated 7/28/99 11:21:40 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Steve@shoyer.com writes:

<< Does it sound like I lost a bearing and need to replace the water pump?  If
 so, is it a big job, and does the radiator really need to come out (step 1
 in the Bentley manual).  Could it be something else? >>

I've done my share of water pumps but I've never had a B, so YMMV.  It
certainly sounds like a bad water pump.  The next sympton will be coolant
leaking out behind the pully.

Removing the radiator is easy.  Make sure you turn the heater ON before
draining the coolant, and leave it on until you refill after doing the work.
That way you won't trap any air in the heater.

Water pump replacement is straightforward, and much easier with the radiator
out of the way.  Just make sure to use a torque wrench when you reassemble.
A stripped bolt or a broken water pump mount isn't worth the trouble!

Allen Hefner
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport