Re: MGB Lug pattern

To: FlynShoot@aol.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGB Lug pattern
From: Larry Colen <lrcar@red4est.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 22:58:04 -0700
On Thu, Jul 29, 1999 at 12:15:37AM -0400, FlynShoot@aol.com wrote:
> Are there any other wheels for other cars that will match up to an MGB lug
> pattern? Also what size/width wheels are usable? Any suggested size tires for
> each wheel combination?

Datsun Z car (240, 260, 280).  I actually used to swap race tires between
my Z and my B.  It was very handy.  You can fit 205-60-14s, especially if
fold back the rear fender lips.  With a little bit of subtle body work
(rolling a baseball bat between tire and fenderwell) I think that you
can go as wide as 215 or 225.

I'm looking for a set of 15x6 mags with tapered lugs for mine.
I'd love a set of the Panasport minilite replicas.  It is much easier
to find good street tires in 15" than 14" these days.  For street legal
race tires I'd probably reccomend either Comp TA R1s or the Yokos.
Toyos are just fine once they've warmed up, but they have absolutely
no traction (only that of a good street tire) for the first half lap
or so while they are cold.  The old Bridgedstone RE71-R for a while
was the most awesome rain tire I've ever driven at full tread depth.
However, if you drove them in the dry at full tread depth they'd
get a bit greasy and you'd end up looking like this:
http://www.red4est.com/lrc/racer_html/schoolpix.html

They day the first picture was taken started out wet, and the only
cars on the track faster than me were a couple of race cars.
Then the track dried out and the tires got greasy as they warmed
up.  It was sure fun driving like the days of fat drivers and
skinny tires. Not very fast, but sure fun.

For street tires, I've been pretty happy with the Comp T/A HR4s,
or whatever the equivalent is.  I'm running a set of Falkens on
my Rx7 right now and am not favorably impressed, though they do
seem to have improved with age.

I'd suggest somewhere between 5.5 and 6.5 inch wheels.  Optimal
for a stock, street car that doesn't require the best handling
would probably be 195-70-14s.  I've got 185-60-14s on it
right now and they are just a bit too low.  Best handling without
getting creative with the body work is probably 205-60-14
or 205-50-15.  You shouldn't rub with  those.  If you do,
check your spring bushings.

   lrc