Re: Valve Springs

To: "Neil Cotty" <neilc@tradesrv.com.au>
Subject: Re: Valve Springs
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 01:29:38
At 04:05 PM 7/29/99 +1000, Neil Cotty wrote:

>... Was just speaking to Hans Pedersen .... I asked him why he thought I
couldn't rev her past 5500rpm before she got really thrashy and refused to
climb higher.

>According to him Valve springs as fitted to our cars are only really rated
for a max. of 60,000mls of use, and that doesn't take into account the
constant tension the springs are under while just sitting in the car, which
makes them slack over time.

>My A has done around 110,000mls. Maybe that explains it Barney - why you
can rev to the redline and I can't - ? :)

I don't think so.  I've never bought a new valve spring in my life.  My car
has about 300,000 miles on it, at least 120,000 miles that I know of on the
current set of valve springs (probably more).  However, I do occasionally
shim a low one just to make tham all equal free height.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
    http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg