KM or ST needle?

To: MG list <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: KM or ST needle?
From: Jouke Bloem <jbloem@bart.nl>
Date: Sun, 01 Aug 1999 10:39:13 +0200
Hello,

Yesterday we have been busy all day setting op the engine of my 'C GT'
properly. The problem we encountered was a too rich mixture. We found
out there is a 'km' needle in the carburettor. The number on the carb is
AUD287. My new workshop manual says we should have a 'st' needle as
standard. The ignition timing that goes with this setup is 10 degrees
instead of 20.

Can someone tell me more about this needle thing. For instance can i
change the needle to st and set the ignition to standard to get a better
and leaner running engine?

TIA

Jouke Bloem
'68 MG C GT