Re: MGB Ignition

To: "James Nazarian Jr" <James.Nazarian@Colorado.EDU>,
Subject: Re: MGB Ignition
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 20:59:21 +0100
If the tach instantly drops then it is definitely the ignition LT circuit
i.e. ignition - coil - points/capacitor.  If the ignition warning lamp came
on then it is 12v going off the white or brown./white circuit for some
reason i.e. ignition switch or ignition relay.  If the ignition warning
light stayed off (and it normally works!) then it is the 12v feed to the
coil, the coil itself, points, or capacitor.  The coil can go open circuit
as it warms up, then 'heal itself as it cools again.  The capacitor could be
short.  The wiring inside the distributor could have frayed and be
grounding.  Check that you have 12v both sides of the coil with the points
open, and ground one side and 12v (or 6v if it is a ballasted system) the
other when they are closed.

PaulH.
http://freespace.virgin.net/paul.hunt1/
or if that doesn't work try