Re: My first LBC

To: "Erich" <erich@mail.NGBM.COM>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: My first LBC
From: John Walker <john@rmartin.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 14:11:37 -0700
Areas to service? Definitely take a look at the brakes and associated hoses.
As for the car cover, I have been looking recently as well and I like the
Technalon 2 covers.  They seems to be the best as keeping the moisture and
other
no-no's out.  Around here the average price for a Technalon 2 cover is
about $100.00
Good Luck!

-JW

At 04:24 PM 8/12/99 -0400, Erich wrote:
>Helo all,
>
> I subscribed to the list about a week ago and have found it quite
helpfull.  I reciently aquired an Brooklands Green 1980 MGB from my younger
brother. I fell in love with it some 5 years ago, when I drove it down from
my grandfathers house in Dayton, Ohio to where my brother lived in Atlanta.
He was to recieve the car since he was the only one in my family without a
vehicle. He was also only 15 years old and could not drive yet, which is
why I got to drive it down for him (hated giving up those keys). Needless
to say, he did not appreciate what he had, and complained about the vehicle
constantly.  That was until this past June when he got his dream car...a
Honda Accord (no joke!)from my father, in exchange for the MG.  Neither of
my parents drive standards anymore, and the only reason I could think that
they would want it was that my mother has always regretted selling her '64
some 30 years ago!
> Well, I found out when I recieved a call from them to come pick it up if
I wanted it.  Looks like those times that I sat and worked on it while my
brother watched TV paid off.  My mother knew that I loved the car, and
since she was not going to drive it, this way it would stay in the family.
There was only one catch, the MG needed some small repairs :)

>There were two problems which needd to be taken care of right away.
>First, the radiator had developed a small leak and needed to be rebuilt.
Second, a power drain had developed after my brother replaced the stock
radio with a CD head unit, 200 watt amp, and 10"bazooka tube sub woffer(the
Overdrive had gone out at the same time).

> I have had the radiator problem fixed, and the electrical system gone
through.  No drain was found, that is until the radio was connected.  With
the radio in, there is enough drain to kill the battery overnight. The
solution thus far has been for me to go w/o a raido, but I would like to
install a stock unit. Has anyone run in to a problem like this? Maybe it is
a problem with that individual head unit. The overdrive still is not
working.  The British car shop said that it was in the wiring, and
estimated about $200 to fix it.
> The only other problems with the car are two small spots of rust.  The
first spot of rust is by the drivers door, just above where the top slides
on. It is about 3/4" in diameter and is slight surface rust.  The second
spot worries me more. It is in the middle of the passenger door. The paint
here is beginning to bubble, looks like it was filled in but not fixed. It
is a spot about 1/2" in diameter and seems to go have gone completely
through (I cant tell for sure due to the filler) The paint is starting to
bubble slightly around the filler.
>I am almost afraid to look at what is behind it.
>
> Other than these problems. the car seems to be running fine. I have
driven it almost 1,000 miles since I picked it up on the 22nd of July.
>The car was only run three pf four times in the past year (due to the
electrical drain) and thus far I have changed the oil and greased the
kingpins. Is there anything else I should look for since it hadn't been
driven much the last year?
> One thing of note is that I do not have a garage, and so it will remain
outside in all weather. It is my daily driver, but I would like to get a
good cover for it. Any suggestions on types?

>Thanks,
> Erich Bruning
>  '69 Norton Commando 750 'S'
>  '80 MGB