Re: Stayrod

To: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>, MG Listserver <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Stayrod
From: Chris Attias <cattias@cats.ucsc.edu>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 14:31:09 -0700
Paul,

Well, I'm confused.  I may not be talking about the same rod.   Three
synchro cars had a stay rod that connects the crossmember to an eye
on the bottom of the tranny.  My '64 B roadster has one.  The later
cars have an engine restraint rod that, I believe, connects the
crossmember to a hole in a bracket bolted to the back of the bell
housing.  I think this is the steady rod you are describing.  Moss
lists the "Recoil Bracket" on the engine mount with two different
part numbers for both early and late cars, though NLA.

I vaguely remember looking this up in the Moss catalog a few years
ago.  I noticed that my '67 GT didn't have a rod, and seeing that
they didn't list it for GTs of that era.  I don't believe the current
catalog copy is the same.  It would be great to find a dealer's MGB
parts book and look this up.

>Workshop Manual says that steady rods were fitted to roadsters and GTs from
>car No 341295 to meet certain territorial requirements.  Clausager says they
>were fitted to North American cars from Roadster 341295 and GT 341730 in Feb
>74 to comply with US legislation.  Haynes implies they continued to the end.

Chris Attias
'64 MGB
'84 Alfa Romeo GTV-6