Re: Front end MGA problems

To: Dean Crowley <dcdccccckc@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: Front end MGA problems
From: Robert Cox <rob@ironbark.bendigo.latrobe.edu.au>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 09:35:34 +1000
Dean Crowley wrote:

> The east west seem to be
> a gap up in the inner ball joint.
> I really don't want to take the boots off and mess with
> the inner ball joint in the other end of the rack.

It may pay to remove the boot and have a look. I had a lot of play on on
end of the rack on my MGA and assumed it was wear. I eventually took the
boot off and found that the ball joint screws into the end of the rack
and has some kind of lock flange hammered into indentations (something
like that... it's 8 years since I did it). This flange had been bashed
so many times it really wasn't locking anything and the ball joint had
screwed loose. I put some loctite on the thread and hammered the locking
flange as best I could. It's been fine the past 8 years.

My 2c worth...

Cheers,

Robert
1960 MGA 1600