Re: Major Engine Rebuild Costs on a 77B

To: FlynShoot@aol.com
Subject: Re: Major Engine Rebuild Costs on a 77B
From: Art Pfenninger <ch155@freenet.buffalo.edu>
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 12:05:57 -0400 (EDT)
It all depends on what you consider a completely rebuild engine. The last
I checked you could get a rebuilt engine(including head)for about $1300
exchange. But you have to remember that when ever you buy a rebuilt engine
it includes "closely inspected parts" meaning that if they look good then
they are reused. Your best bet would be to disassemble the engine and take
it to a machine shop to inspect. Let them know that you plan on rebuilding
it yourself. This way they have no incentive to sell you something. Once
they tell you the honest state your engine is in, then you may tell them
to go ahead and rebuild it or actually do it yourself. IMHO this would be
the bestweekends worth of work that you could do. You'll be surprised at
how easy it is and maybe save yourself some money along the way. If
nothing else you'll gain the confidence to tackle the really tough jobs
like replacing those leaky real wheel cylinders!
...Art