tire changer

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: tire changer
From: Art Pfenninger <ch155@freenet.buffalo.edu>
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 12:21:03 -0400 (EDT)
A few weeks ago there was a question about how good the HarborFreight tire
changer was. Since it was on sale for $44.95 I decided to buy one and find
out (I also bought their $500 Hobart Handler Mig welder but havn't used it
yet) Getting back to the tire machine, what a great addition to the shop!
I can't see how they can sell it for that price, a similar one sells for
$195 in another catalog I have. I havn't used it yet on the wire wheels
but I have used it 3 times on disc wheel. I was able to break the bead and
dismount a tire in about 3 minutes. And that includes reading the
instructions on how to do it! But like everything else the tire machine is
only the beginning of the cost. I went to PEP Boys and spent another $18
dollars on a couple of new valve stems, a stem puller and a quart of bead
sealer. If any one is interested I'll give them the part #. As you know
Harbor Freight charges more or less depending on what part # you use. It
needs to be bolted to the floor so I put it in the basement to save space
in the garage. I like it down there its out of the way and I can visit it
any time day or night :-)
 ...Art