Re: Slowing the Fuel Gauge Fluctuation on an LBC

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Slowing the Fuel Gauge Fluctuation on an LBC
From: "Tim Economu" <economu@whidbey.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 09:51:02 -0700
Paul:
Remember that one time constant is the time used to go 63% of the total
voltage swing.
One time constant is equal to the resistance times the capacitance:
So,
    t = RC

for 40 ohms, and 5000 microfarads, one time constant = 0.2 sec
for 40 ohms, and 10000 microfarads, one time constant = 0.4 sec
for 20 ohms, and 5000 microfarads, one time constant = 0.1 sec
for 20 ohms, and 10000 microfarads, one time constant = 0.2 sec

But notice also that:
for 10,000 ohms, and 10 microfarads, one time constant = 0.1 sec

These former are all large capacitors and fairly short time constants. The
capacitor can be reduced and resistor increased as later shown to make the
capacitor small, and small also means a better dielectric material can be
used (like tantalum) for longer life. The electrolyte in electrolytic
capacitors dries out in time and the cap becomes useless.

OR....
you can just live with it!! (My recommendation)

Kind regards,

Tim Economu                                   phone:  360-579-2117
Design Engineer                                     fax: 360-579-2117
Trace Engineering             email: economu@whidbey.com
4131 Springwater
Clinton, WA 98236