Re: Thoughts on a American Limited Edition?

To: <Ajhsys@aol.com>, <tab@penworks.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Thoughts on a American Limited Edition?
From: "Gordon Bird" <gobird@vbe.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 11:05:59 -0400

> << Having lusted after MGB/Cs since I can remember, I've finally started
an
>  informal but active search for one (that is, my wife won't object
anymore,
>  so I'm keeping an eye out for one).  My personal fondness is for a green
>  MGB or MGC, most any variation in decent condition >>
>
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
> Rather than settle for a car that you aren't particularly attracted to, I
> suggest that you keep looking.  There are over 200 MGBs and Cs listed on
line
> at:  www.traderonline.com  and you can search by year, price,
location...any
> way you want.  There are hundreds more MGs at:
> www.mgcars.org.uk/class/North+AmericaCFS.html  but that site lacks a
search
> engine.  Use the FIND function of your browser to locate MGB or your
state.

> I think that $4900 for any 1980 B, even an LE, is too much unless it is
very
> low mileage or completely rebuilt with receipts.  It will probably be
> available for a while.
>
> Just my 2 cents.
>
> Allen Hefner
> '77 Midget
> '92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport

I guess it is all in 'how bad I want it'.  I sold an '80 B  in 1989 (that I
had bought new) for $4500.  At the time it had 45k miles.  I recently ran
across the car again, now with 64k on odometer, two owners later, and I
would gladly pay twice what I sold it for to get it back, but he won't sell
it.  I probably paid more for 'A' than it was actually worth, but
considering I'll never sell it (I hope), the current market value is really
meaningless.  I just wanted it bad enuf to shell out the bucks.  By all
means, get the car you want, there are lots of them.  But don't expect one
to be around for long.  10 years ago I sold my B in one day.  If it is a
nice one, it won't last long.
Just more .02
Gordie
'62 MGA