Re: U-Joints Question

To: "Rocky Frisco" <rock@rocky-frisco.com>,
Subject: Re: U-Joints Question
From: Larry Macy <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 06:41:04 -0400
Interesting thought - However on a Midget if the front one breaks, it
will not hit the ground. You have to get at the bolts through a hole in
the floor pan. Now as far as the damage being done to the underbody as
the thing spins around in the short tunnnel???

Larry
Newly replace U-Joints

>John A. Walker wrote:
>>
>> Question to the list:
>>
>> Other than the occasional annoying clunk,
>> is there any danger associated with driving a B
>> with worn u-joints?
>> By doing so, can you damage other more expensive parts?
>> I am not talking autocross style driving mind you,
>> I am simply talking about around town casual driving.
>
>Stress-damaged parts tend to break when stressed the most. This is a
>function of Murphy's Law and physics.  ;)
>
>This predicts one of the u-joints will fail catastophically right when
>you *really* need it not to.
>
>It's really a safety question.
>
>Trust me, you don't want a self-disconnected drive-shaft flailing around
>under the car, if the back one breaks, smacking into the road and trying
>to get to your lower parts, but that's still better than having the
>front one go and break loose and hit a crack in the paving and start you
>pogoing at the nearest brick wall or pedestrian.
>
>My opinion.
>
>-Rock
>--
>Rocky, JJ Cale Band & Pratchett Books: http://www.rocky-frisco.com
>Rocky's Mini Cooper Page: http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/6437/
>Mini Books:  http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/6437/rockboox.html

Larry Macy
78 Midget

Keep your top down and your chin up.

Larry B. Macy, Ph.D.
macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu
System Manager/Administrator
Neuropsychiatry Section
Department of Psychiatry
University of Pennsylvania
3400 Spruce St. - 10 Gates
Philadelphia, PA 19104

In a world without walls or fences, what use do we have for windows or
gates?