Re: Education please on carburetor

To: Bill Saidel <saidel@crab.rutgers.edu>
Subject: Re: Education please on carburetor
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 01:14:59 -0400
Bill Saidel wrote:
> The running saga goes like this: I did the Twist detox on a '76 and for some
> reason, after all was said and done, each time I tried ignition, the car
> chugged and never caught. Inspection showed that I immediately flooded it.

  ...and

> (Well, 2 weekends worth of inspection.)  Took the clean end of my trusting
> cleaning toothbrush and jammed it under the piston and it started right up.

  ....both point to extreme richness, like choke stuck on,
or leaking floats, and so on.

  Rich cars will start by lifting the piston, it's
a quick-fix to a flooded car. You seemed to have discovered
this by accident.

  Check that the chokes are not stuck on, and the float
bowl valves are sealing.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca