RE: color of smog components

To: James Nazarian Jr <James.Nazarian@Colorado.EDU>
Subject: RE: color of smog components
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 16:52:41 -0700
Smile, mate.

        I've come across so much weird stuff, that even what I take for
granted, I don't any more.

        I knew I had seen it all when I started to work on a late 76 MGB.
It had a late style dash, earlier fuel tank.  Now get this!  It had no front
sway bar, ok, that's normal for a 76.  But it had a later rear end complete
with swaybar.  To add insult to injury it used the 76 style handbrake cable,
not the later rod style that you would expect on that rear end.  Now I hear
you say it was probably a DPO botch, yet there were no markings around the
front sway bar mounting holes indicating a bar was ever installed on the
chassis.  The front non-swaybar A arms appeared original (complete with
elongated holes).  The rear sway bar body mounts were definitely OE welds.
Oh, and I did check on the off chance that the shell had been cut in half
and rewelded (I did own a car that had that done, very early in it's life.
Very nice job).

        It goes to show that these cars really were assembled from whatever
bits happened to be in the supply bin.

cheers

Kelvin.