Re: loss of power

To: mcjsr@talstar.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: loss of power
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 10:54:30 EDT
In a message dated 9/1/99 6:07:59 PM Eastern Daylight Time, mcjsr@talstar.com
writes:

<< Before you
 laugh yourselves to death just realize that my mechanical knowledge,
 **though growing** is obviously limited to the problems I have had to fix
 already...and this is a new one. I know most of you probably chuckle a bit
 when you read my posts, and say....is this guy for real....but hey I am
 giving it a try, and trying like hell to keep this LBC going! *LOL*  >>

Scott, every one of us has been in almost exactly the same situation you are
in now.  For some it happened when we first started to drive, and for others,
a little later in fife when we decided that LBCs were for us.  Don't worry,
we'll get you thru this difficult period in your life!  <BG>

I don't know what your mechanic actually did to the car, so here is my
recommendation.  Start with the basics.  Get a copy of the original owner's
manual for a maintenance schedule, capacities, recommended fluids, etc.  Get
a service manual like Haynes or Bentley.  Read them!

Next, start doing basic repairs.  Change the plugs, wires, points, condenser,
rotor, distributor cap.  That is all easy stuff.  Adjust the ignition timing,
again, easy.  Adjust the valve lash (and replace the valve cover gasket),
another easy item.  Also change the air filter and the gas filter, then see
how the engine runs.

Adjusting the carbs is another important thing in getting the engine right.
It gets a little tricky with dual carbs, as they have to be syncronized.
Perhaps there is a lister located near you who would be able to visit, spend
some time with your B, and have a beer or two.  You will learn a lot that way.

If, after completing all the above, it still blows smoke, burns oil and has
low power, you are probably looking at a head gasket problem.  That one might
be a good one for a mechanic if you are new to this kind of work.  I would
recommend that you find a British car mechanic, though.  Familiarity with
these cars is important.

As far as needing tools, buy the best basic set of tools you can afford, then
buy additional tools as your needs arise.  You can get a good set of tools at
Sears, Lowes or Home Depot, all with a lifetime warranty.  Don't buy metric
tools, SAE is what these cars need.  A small set of 3/8" sockets, a set of
combination wrenches, a few assorted screwdrivers and pliers, and maybe a BIG
hammer will get you started.  A bar-type 3/8" drive torque wrench isn't very
expensive and will keep you from breaking bolts.

Let us know your progress.

Allen Hefner
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport