Re: My Early BGT

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: My Early BGT
From: "RL Chrysler" <lchrysl@fhs.csu.McMaster.CA>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 22:51:55 -0400
Max wrote:
I'm sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant exactly what I wrote, i.e. " ...was
the first GT built in *January 1966*", not, as it might have looked, "the
first GT *was* built in January 1966" (I was getting my info from
Clausager, too). I was establishing that Rich's car must have been built
after January 1966, not in 1965 as he was speculating. But I think Rich
knew what I meant.

Sure did, Max.
I'm currently nailing down the best source for me to get one of Clausager's
books. I certainly will be eventually contacting him for the Heritage
certificate, but that's not a priority for me right now.
Thanks to both Max and Paul for their input.
Meanwhile the old girl (the GT that is) is pretty much stripped down of all
her parts, and is quickly approaching the point of being a bare shell. It's
been a real struggle to get things apart, but having been up to my neck in
Healeys for many years, it's a familiar game.
The interior main headliner piece was already missing when I got the car.
All the pieces that fit around the perimeter are still there. These are an
off white colour. The newest Moss catalogue (Canadian spelling abounds in my
postings, please get used to it! <g>) lists grey, but no white. Does anyone
out there have a source for the right colour stuff? I know these parts are
not a priority right now, but one must be ready if the opportunity arises.
The rear axle is (hopefully) to come out this weekend, the rear springs are
shot so I am not hesitating to use copious amounts of heat to get things
out. Burning out the rubber portion of the metallastic spring bushings
allows a lot more clearance to cut the spring mounting bolts. All these
parts will be replaced with new anyway.Yes, the old fuel tank and all
related stuff is already removed.
Are the spring rates of new GT spec leaf springs from, say Moss, reasonably
accurate in physical make up (eg. 7 leaves plus interleaves) and load and
rebound rate? I've seen some pretty funny looking B's running around with
either too much, or not enough spring rate.
BTW, if this stuff is too boring to relate on the list, please let me know.
Rich Chrysler