Revive Old Names With New Cars

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, mgs@autox.team.net, healeys@autox.team.net,
Subject: Revive Old Names With New Cars
From: Wildbil923@aol.com
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 1999 00:38:59 EDT
>From time to time these lists are enlivened with posts regarding whether BMW
will revive the Austin Healey name, or whether the MGF is a "real" MG, etc.
Often a number of listers will take the position that no modern iteration of
these marques will ever hold a candle to the "real" stuff.  Today I was at a
breakfast meeting of my Porsche club which is now in the position of having
to find a new restaurant because of explosive growth in the past three years.
 Why?  Porsche finally came out with cars that truly speak to Porsche's
roots, namely the Boxster and, to a lesser extent, the new 911.  With these
cars, Porsche has gone from the brink of bankruptcy to incredible sales
success.  And the local Porsche club has gone from 12 people at a breakfast
meeting to over 75.  The LBC clubs I belong to, on the other hand, are
dominated by a bunch of very nice "old farts" and very few new or younger
members.  So, the question arises, what will happen when the old guard dies
off?

We need new cars with British name plates that speak to the heritage of the
two seat roadster.  Doesn't matter if they're "truly British" or not (the
Boxster's made in Finland.)  New LBCs will bring new people into the hobby
and add needed new life to an aging hobby.  So, BMW, brink back the Austin
Healey name.  Import the MGF or a variant.  Jaguar, build a real sports car
in the heritage of the early E-Type.  The aura of the British marque is
incomparable.  Bring them back and rejuvinate the hobby.

My unsolicited .02

Bill

1960 MGA
1960 AH Sprite
1961 AH 3000 BT7
1959 Morgan Plus Four
1990 Mazda Miata
1999 Porsche Boxster
(All two seaters, all fun, all "real" sports cars)