Re: [mgs] altenators

To: <REwald9535@aol.com>, <walter.menge@gte.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [mgs] altenators
From: "George Procyshyn" <geopro@cyberdrive.net>
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 1999 04:19:53 -0400
Rick
Wait a minute, you're saying I disconnect the battery on an
alternator equipped car (and that includes virtually ALL new
cars) as well as many lbc's and the
diode/alternator/radio/computers/cellphone/shaver/etc. are
toast?  I know the battery has been disconnected several
times on my American van and everything seems fine.
Can you clarify?  Inquiring minds and all
George Procyshyn

> >  Hi. I could not let the opportunity pass to caution
about removing battery
> > cable from battery on cars with
> >  altenators. Cars with generators were checked by
removing a battery cable
> > and if the car continued to run
> >  indicated the car was running on the generator.
Altenators require voltage
> > to them for it to work work.
> >  removing the battery cable removes this voltage and
more often than not
> the
> > altinator blows a diode. With a
> >  blown diode you will have about 12 V which is enough to
run the car until
> > the load is increased with lights or
> >  other electrical load
> Let me toss in a little more on this subject.  The battery
acts as a ballast
> in the electrical system, in other words it works like an
electrical "shock
> absorber" to smooth out electrical spikes.  If you
disconnect the battery
> cable on an alternator equipped car system voltage can
spike upwards to maybe
> 100 volts!  (this is what causes the diode in the
alternator diode to go
> away).
> This also toasts any other microprocessor, or transistor
controlled circuit
> in the system.  Wait you say I own an LBC NO
microprocessors!  Well, do you