[mgs] altenators

To: mgs (list) <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [mgs] altenators
From: walter menge <walter.menge@gte.net>
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 99 05:12:48 Central Daylight Time
 Hi. I could not let the opportunity pass to caution about removing battery
cable from battery on cars with
altenators. Cars with generators were checked by removing a battery cable and
if the car continued to run
indicated the car was running on the generator. Altenators require voltage to
them for it to work work.
removing the battery cable removes this voltage and more often than not the
altinator blows a diode. With a
blown diode you will have about 12 V which is enough to run the car until the
load is increased with lights or
other electrical load. The altinator should Have 13.5 to 14.5 volts and is
checked by checking voltage at the
battery cables. Most repair manuals state this as a caution. I hope this will
save some one the price af a new
altinator.
The low compression with #3 and #4 more than likely a blowm head gasket between
the cylinders. Should the
head be cracked I offer an exchange on them. I repair cracked heads and blocks,
aluminum or cast iron.
Thanks Walter.Menge@gte.net -- Foreign Cars and Parts --