RE: Future of hobby and other matters

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Future of hobby and other matters
From: "Erich" <erich@mail.NGBM.COM>
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 13:22:02 -0400
From: "Steve Conley" <swconley@foxinternet.net>
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 08:55:57 -0700

-----Original Message-----

From: Neil_Oldfield@nag.national.com.au

Snip>
>The LBC clubs I belong to, on the other hand, are
>dominated by a bunch of very nice "old farts" and very few new or >younger
>members.  So, the question arises, what will happen when the >old guard dies
>off?

The Norton owners club that I belong to seems to have a similar problem. I am
the youngest member at 25yrs, while the next youngest is 43.  Now I know that
43 is not old, but the 18 year difference has always interested me.  I have
often wondered why other people my age do not express interest in these
vehicles. I have found that there is interest in british motorcycles and lbc's,
but there are a number of factors that have kept many younger people from
taking the step towards ownership. These are the beliefs that:
 1. LBC's are difficult and expensive to work on.
 2. That parts are hard to find.
 3. That lbc's can not be used as daily drivers.

You must remember, that many people in their early 20's and 30's do not have
salaries that give them much freedom to make these types of purchases, given
that many I have spoken with believe the previous three statements.

My next door neighbor told me that seeing my B brought back memories of driving
in his fathers B. He asked me if he could help me work on it. He said that he
realy loved the cars, but could not afford to keep one of his own. Someone in
my wifes lab found out that we had a B, and told her about his.  It is a '75
model which he used at college but has been sitting for about 3 years now due
to carb. problems.  He said that there were not shops that worked on them, and
he was unable to find parts for it.  It is currently parked in a garage on the
Southside of Atlanta, but after speaking with me about shops and parts
suppliers he wants to get it back on the road. I think he may enjoy this list
as well.

Every place I go, I have people tell me how much they like them and how they
wwould love to own one.  I try to tell them of how easy they are to own
(especially considering many peopole have $300+ car payments per month). Heck,
if I can work on one, i think just about anybody can.

> If you start them out young there's no telling what may happen when
>they become driving age.

>Stephen Bartley
>Portsmouth NH
1963 MGB

I have to agree with this, I heard many stories about my mothers "64 B. I have
been interested in them for many years now, partly because of these stories.
Anybody know of a Light blue '64 B purchased in Dayton, OH about 1967 :)

The more people see them on the road, the more interested they become.

Just my $0.02

Erich  1980 MGB