My Rear Axle Leaks

To: "mgs-digest list" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: My Rear Axle Leaks
From: "Fred Pixley" <fpixley@kingston.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 1999 16:16:39 -0400
About 1000 miles ago I changed the right rear axle seal and now find it
leaking again.  This is a semi-floating type with wire wheels on a 71 BGT.
Probably the problem is the axle collar which is somewhat pitted.  I had
polished it with emery cloth but it is still pitted.
My questions are:
1.  Should I replace the axle collar or use a repair sleeve over it.  A new
axle collar is $35.00 US plus shipping, tax, exchange rate ... ?
2.  Should there be anything between the collar and the axle like grease,
silicone, locktight, etc. or should it be installed dry?  It is quite a
tight fit.
3.  Should there be anything between the bearing cap, which the seal presses
into, and the axle case flange?  There is apparently no paper gasket,
o-ring, or silicone or anything.  Does it install dry?  It is also quite a
tight fit.

I would really appreciate your opinions on this as I hate making the same
repair over again.  If I hadn't tried to reuse the pitted collar I probably
wouldn't be but usually these cars can be repaired with a rebuild or an
adjustment rather than throwing new parts at them.  The Ha**es Manual
doesn't go into detail.

Has anyone changed a rear axle seal on a tube type axle recently and did it
work for you?

Fred Pixley
Napanee, Ontario, Canada
fpixley@kingston.net