Re: Engine installation

To: "Enrique Claure" <spaninc@ceibo.entelnet.bo>,
Subject: Re: Engine installation
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 12:40:38 -0700
Sorry about your loss... that sort of thing is very discouraging.

>From my experience with engine installation, I would say:

1. sometimes you want to raise/lower the front or back of the car in
order to make clearance for the tranny, access transmission mount bolts,
or ease onto the motor mounts. Being on stands might interfere with this
process, but if your wheels have been stolen, you may not have a choice,
I suppose. It should still be doable.

2. I have always removed the hood, but a lister pointed out a while back
that all you really need to do is open it all the way so it leans back
against the windshield and tie it back so it doesn't flop closed. Saves
some time and the chance of scratching the paint.

3. I think you can do it with the radiator in place but it would be
easier without it. You want that space for fore-and-aft movement to get
the tail of the tranny over the permanent crossmember. Plus you don't
want to risk bashing the fins on the radiator with the fan blades. It is
definitely easier to install the fan on the engine out of the car, or
without the radiator.

Good luck!

Enrique Claure had this to say:

--