It just quit!

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: It just quit!
From: "Scott McKorkle" <bmc@aa.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 14:34:02 -0700
Strange thing this afternoon.  I was out for a drive and had done about a
half hour at average speeds (30-40 mph).  I was slowing for a stop light
and the engine just quit.  Not a gradual loss of power, like fuel
starvation, but just a sudden cessation of power, like someone turned off
the key.  I coasted to a stop and switched on my hazard flashers (meaning
that electrical was still working), turned off the key and tried starting
her up.  She started immediately and ran perfectly well all way home.

A cursory check at home showed no loose or frayed wires, but I'm sure I
could have missed something.  Does this sound like a failing coil or is
there something else I should check.  The car is a 1978 MGB with points, a
25D4 distributor and standard coil.

Thanks!
Scott McKorkle
1978 MGB