76 B - fuel pump

Subject: 76 B - fuel pump
From: Tyson Sherman <mts3@ra.msstate.edu>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 17:04:19 -0500
For three years, my B did fine with its
aftermarket fuel pump.  It was installed by a
previous owner, so I don't know a thing about it.

Recently I converted from the original single carb
to dual HIF4s.

My crazy fuel pump was of the variety that
seemingly doesn't stop pumping.  It would always
tick so it seemed, though sometimes it was louder.

Now with the SUs, if I leave the ignition turned
to 'on' and the car not running, the fuel pump
won't stop ticking.  Sometimes gas will spew from
the front carb, usually out of the float bowl vent
pipe.

Is there any way to tell if this is the pump's
fault or a stuck float?  If I did the same thing
(let the pump tick w/the car not running),
sometimes the Z-Stromberg carb would flood.

I haven't driven the car yet; it has high idle
problems as well as other needs, but it will idle
for a long time like this (not leaking gas).

--
Tyson Sherman
mts3@ra.msstate.edu