Re: Shameful sighting of RB Midget

To: <RobMGB@aol.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Shameful sighting of RB Midget
From: "Mike Lishego" <mlishego@asheboro.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 20:45:14 -0400

>whay were you in Miata instead of B. I was working on 76 Toy but
wife was out
>driving B in rain.
>robmgb
>74B

Good question...To answer it, I have to recall a painful event in my
recent memory...The day my MG died.

See, I just got a job in NC, but my family is in PA.  I had left my
MG with my father for the summer because I needed a truck to do my
summer work, which was also in NC.  One sad day, my father called me
to tell me that he was driving my MG when it ceased moving in a
forward direction.  He said that it idled fine, but when he let out
the clutch the car's gearbox sounded like it was full of gravel.  He
towed it home, breaking my original British front license plate in
the process.

When I got home for a long weekend, I fired up the car.  It idled
fine, but did make a terrible noise from the tranny.  The rear end
had also long been making a yowling sound, and I knew that something
very bad had happened.  As it turned out, the tranny blew up.  The
clutch was almost shot anyway, and the car was going through oil at
200 miles per quart.

So, on that sad day, I decided to put the MG to sleep and begin a
slow but thorough restoration, rather than the 'fix it as it breaks'
resto I had been performing for the previous eight months.

So, the MG is at home, in a garage, awaiting my Thanksgiving
vacation when I can pull the interior and engine/tranny.  The car
will get new body parts and new running gear.

As fortune would have it, my job provided me with enough income to
buy a good used car.  Rather than buying some kind of coupe or
(Heaven Forbid!) a sedan, I bought the Miata.  I think of the
Miata/MG relationship like this:  If you had a Persian cat and it
died, you might want another cat.  Would it have to be Persian?  No,
not really.  So, you pick up a nice long-haired cat at a pound.  Not
a Persian, but a cat nonetheless.

That's how I see it - the MG and Miata are of the same species, just
a different breed.  Both have their good and bad points, and both
have a permanent place in my stable.

Anyway, that's why you might see a Miata driver lurking on the
list...I'm looking for good parts and I enjoy the MG list members
personality.

*No cats were harmed in the writing of this message.  Sorry.*

Michael S. Lishego
http://www.mgb.bc.ca/virtualgarage/
1991 Mazda Miata
1986 Plymouth Turismo T1