Re: SU Carburetters

To: "Richard A. Boris" <borisri@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: SU Carburetters
From: David Hill <davhill@cwcom.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 22:14:44 +0100
Hi, Richard,

I've just been checking on this. SU do some alternative spec needles but
not for all models of carburettor.
An alternative when the needle is very close is to have a rolling road
test and get the operator to slim
down your own needle at the tip end.
You can also check for yourself that mixture is the problem. Run the car
under load for about 30 seconds and without lifting the throttle, cut
the ignition and pull off the road. Remove a spark plug and if its
electrodes are white, you have weak mixture.
This is called a 'plug chop' and gives a useful snapshot of mixture
strength under specific conditions.

However. TAKE GREAT CARE NOT TO LOCK YOUR STEERING when you switch off.

Dave Hill