Big Thanks

Subject: Big Thanks
From: Tyson Sherman <mts3@ra.msstate.edu>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 21:13:59 -0500
Just a note to say thanks to all of you who
offered advice getting my 76 B converted to SU
HIF4s!  The car is running now, and running well.
Special thanks to Paul Hunt and his web page,
which I printed out and took outside to read while
working on the B.

Also special thanks to the (more than one) person
that suggested removing the carbs to see if the
throttle discs were closing all the way (they
weren't).  That was a lot of my idle speed
problems.  I also found out that one of the
soldered closed poppet valves had a leak.

I had idle speed / enrichment / quality problems.
Using a little common sense and playing with the
choke helped me solve my problems.  Now the car
idles smoothly, consistently, and quietly at 850
rpms.  The car has plenty of power from idle all
the way to 5000rpms and probably higher; I didn't
rev it any higher.  Even more significant was that
I drove the car a bit and when I got home, it
idled at the same speed as it did when I left.

--
Tyson Sherman
mts3@ra.msstate.edu