Something rubbing in the rear.

To: MG Mail list <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Something rubbing in the rear.
From: Joe Short <buster_balz@operamail.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 11:47:20 -0400
For as long as I've owned my '75 B Roadster, it has done one strange
thing that I can't identifiy. When making a tight turn quickly, something
rubs. At first I thought it was in the front, but recently while testdriving
the car with the battery cover off it was obvious that it's coming from the
rear. It sounds like metal rubbing on metal, and the tires are not rubbing
inside the fenders. I've posted about this before, and have checked a few more
items. The rear bearings feel tight, and exhibit very little endplay. The
parking brake arm (what I thought it was)is assembled correctly and not
rubbing.
The lug nuts are on tightly. I am running the Rostyle rims with 195/60R14
tires.
I also have a set of the minilite look alikes with my autocross tires on them.
The autocross tires are the same size as the street tires. You would think
that the problem would be exagerated by the stickier competiton tires, but the
opposite is true. The problem is worse on the street tires. I'm going crazy
trying to figure this one out. Has anyone had a similar experience ?
My car is lowered with lower springs in front and lowering blocks in the rear.
Also, I have 7 leaf GT springs and and Addco sway bar in the rear.