Re: Something rubbing in the rear.

To: "Joe Short" <buster_balz@operamail.com>,
Subject: Re: Something rubbing in the rear.
From: "wizardz" <wizardz@maxinter.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 13:09:45 -0400
Hey Joe,
    ....sound to me like the lowering blocks are your problem!
Did that one myself.
I had purchased the wrong leaf springs...RBB 7 leaf for my CBB 73.
The arch was too tall..made my rear end sit up like a hotrod.
I at first put in the long u-bolts and lowering blocks.
Just days later ... my brand new rear driveshaft ujoint exploded.
I thought it was just a bad joint...or I had messed it up changing it.

That rubbing I heard was the entire rearend leaning on the tower
of blocks above the leaf springs grinding the rear driveshaft u-joint.

Accelerating, deccelerating and corning mad the whole rear end
lean and twist, pulling the drive shaft slip joint in and out and twisting
the u-joint into obscure angles. The leaf springs were being
distorted into an s-shape by the lever arm created by the tower of blocks
under the rear axle,and forcing the u-joint into an obscure angle.
The marks on the driveshaft yoke convinced me!
Replaced the springs (with the correct ones) removed the blocks...
no odd sounds anymore

I thought it was all maybe just loose or something, but with poly bushings
everywhere
everything was still very tight. Looking under the car, and just rocking it
forward and backwards harshly...with park brake on, you could watch it sway.

Paul Tegler
1973 BGT - Daily Driver
Rat - 1980 Spitfire  w/  O/D - in re-hab
Punkin' - 1978 Spitfire - in Superb Shape!
email: wizardz@toad.net        http://www.teglerizer.com